Home >> Main Index >> City of Oaxaca >> Home >> State of Oaxaca >> City of Oaxaca >> Topic

How safe is Oaxaca?

Posted by epigeon 
Click for city map
How safe is Oaxaca?
October 09, 2016 06:38AM
I'd like to spend a few weeks in Oaxaca in January but would like to know how safe visitors find it.
Re: How safe is Oaxaca?
October 15, 2016 05:28AM
Oaxaca City is very safe. We spend a lot of time there and have never had any problems. Like any place crimes do occur there but I feel perfectly safe walking around alone. According to the U.S. State Department the Fortin Hill area should be avoided but again, we've walked there many times with no problems. Taxi's are plentiful and cheap. Oaxaca is a beautiful city and the people are wonderful. Enjoy!
November 02, 2016 07:45AM
is that union encampment still in the plaza?

I feel safe and happy there.
November 07, 2016 04:23PM
We just came back from the Zocalo and everything is normal and peaceful. i have been coming to Oaxaca for over 20 years and there has always been some protesters in the Zocalo, but they are usually overwhelmed by the crowds of tourists which are always there. The teacher's protests have become a staple in Oaxaca, but there is some hope that it is getting resolved.

I have also been walking up Cerro del Fortin (Fortin Hill) for many years and have never had a problem or known anyone who has. Mind you I go early in the mornings when there are always many others hiking or walking dogs. It is one of my favourite activities in Oaxaca.

Oaxaca is a beautiful city and in my opinion very safe.
Attachments:
open | download - Auditorio - Zocalo.jpg (878.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |