Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Oaxaca >> Zipolite - Mazunte - Agustinillo - Ventanilla >> Topic

What kinds of shortages should we expect?

Posted by Basketeer 
What kinds of shortages should we expect?
July 04, 2016 04:40PM
Hi! We will be arriving in Huatulco on Saturday. In the past, we have walked to the cab stand outside the airport and caught a cab to Puerto Angel or Zipolite. Our plan is always to stay on the beach a week and then head to San Jose del Pacifico (via suburban) for a few days and then on to Oaxaca City. We've been doing this for years, but with the teachers' strikes, I'm not sure what my options currently are.

I'm having trouble finding out about the current blockade situation and whatever shortages they are probably leaving in their wake, and I'm hoping that someone on this forum is in the area and can give me a realistic picture of what's happening as far as gas and food shortages. Is the gas shortage going to make it difficult to catch a cab from the airport? Are the restaurants and tiendas in Puerto Angel/Mazunte/Zipolite still stocked or should we plan on bringing some food with us? What is the money situation like right now? I'm assuming the ATMs are out of cash..? And, lastly, is the highway to San Jose still passable and are the suburbans still running? My friend in Oaxaca City seemed to imply that we'd be better off skipping the mountains and flying into the city from the coast. I'd rather not do that, if possible, but I would love for someone on the ground there to let me know what we're walking into. We're definitely go with the flow types, but I want to be as prepared as possible. I know this can and probably will change moment to moment, but I'd really appreciate any advice or information anyone is willing to impart. Thanks so much!
Re: What kinds of shortages should we expect?
July 05, 2016 09:13AM
Check the Puerto Escondido forum and/or repost this there. At least one contributor has driven through the mountains to Oaxaca.
July 05, 2016 09:29AM
Thank you! I've read a few of their posts and they seem to focus on Puerto almost exclusively. I was concerned that since I'm traveling to much smaller towns that the situation will be vastly different from what they are experiencing, which is why I posted here. But those forums seem to have a lot more traffic so I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!
July 05, 2016 09:41AM
We live in San Agustinillo and when we left on the 25th the Pemex stations were out of gas. There were taxis but fewer than normal. On the coast there weren't really any serious food shortages. Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |