Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Oaxaca >> Puerto Angel >> Topic

Place in Puerto Angel with good Internet?

Posted by Tofel 
Place in Puerto Angel with good Internet?
February 26, 2015 12:45PM
Hi guys,

When it comes to renting apartments/houses in Puerto Angel are there many (any?) with (good) Internet? Or is it too small a place for something that fancy? And if you can find a place with Internet how fast can it be?

Cheers.
Bartek
Re: Place in Puerto Angel with good Internet?
February 26, 2015 09:09PM
Hi Bartek,

I'm not sure what you consider "good internet", but we just had WIFI installed in our house in Estacahuite.

We left the day after it was installed in October, so I don't know personally know how fast it is.
It seems to work pretty well, people who've stayed there haven't complained.

I know other people who have it, as well.

Megan
February 26, 2015 10:04PM
Yeah, I guess I should be more precise. Well fast is at least 3 Mbit/s provided it is consistent and reliable (if it is not and data packages are lost en route the real speed at which one is able to download anything, which includes browsing the web, drop significantly up to the point of uselessness of the connection, which we are experiencing currently in Todos Santos, B.C.S.).

So, how fast was your internet connection?
February 26, 2015 10:26PM
I probably shouldn't have written anything at all, since, as I mentioned, I wasn't there long enough to experience it, and I'm not sure what our guests used it for.
I'm not very high tech, I used it to send emails and go in Facebook.
February 27, 2015 09:17PM
What I'm getting is just a slight drop-off from the Suddenlink service I had back in Texas. The big infrastructure build-out that's had the roads from Pochutla to Mazunte in a rolling turmoil for months, and dropped all those big ferro-concrete boxes with various conduits into big, deep holes - with TelMex involvement early and often - it promises to continue improvement. Sorry, but I'm way too lazy and disinterested to download the tools and learn how to clock the speed of the service. It does what I ask it to do.
March 02, 2015 12:30PM
@Tofel

Usually I post on the Puerto Escondido forum, which is where I live.

Using [www.speedtest.net], my current download speed is 5 Mbit/s, yesterday at this time it was less than half of that and that is closer to the normal speed. The upload speed is .62 Mbit/s. Of course this is out of my house and only one device is using the modem at this time and I pay for higher speeds. If you are using a shared connection I will take a wild guess and think the download speed will be considerably less. Perhaps due to the highway construction in our area, the download speed can be slower at times. I think these speeds are about the same in Puerto Escondido or Puerto Angel. Perhaps Huatulco has much higher speeds but I doubt it.

During Semana Santa, I think that is when you are planning to come, the speed will much slower. Too many people using the Telmex service.

As you probably already know, download speed will be much quicker late at night and during the early morning. Sometime this week I will have do an all nighter to upload. Impossible to even to try during the day.

Rent prices are also much much higher in Semana Santa along the coast. Two weeks after Semana Santa the prices will crash and you can find a deal. Take your laptop along and test the download speed on site.
March 06, 2015 12:54PM
@Tofel

yw.
March 07, 2015 01:25PM
ping:63 ms
download:4.42Mbps
upload: .55Mbps
All will speed up when the current infrastructure build-out is complete.
This is at 2:30pm on Saturday, 7Marzo2015 on a laptop with a wireless connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 01:27PM by johnzap.
March 09, 2015 04:18PM
4/5 Mbit/s is actually decent enough. Though I've learnt in Todos Santos (BCS) that what speedtest/ping tells you isn't worth much. I had a connection there which was around 2.5-3Mbit/s according to speedtest and sometimes had problems when accessing gmail... Even though at the same time I could ping it with not-the-worst-possible-result (ca. 200 ms) and run speedtest with good results. I guess package sizes used by speedtest are small and thus it can give high results when in reality the connection is unusuable.

But in Todos we had a radio connection and they are particularily known for poor reliability and stability.

Anyways this Sunday I did some tests with my laptop in Playa Zipolite and unfortunatelly all places, which I tested were below my expectations. The problem is that I have to use VPN or RDP with computers located in Europe so the connection has to be both fast and stable.

I was also told that Mazunte has only satelitte internet, is that true? Or they have cable just as Zipolite does?

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |