Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusiσn
Att'n: Donald Trump
October 31, 2016 05:25PM
Granted, as is true of the entire world, there are some bad people living in Mexico. But this thread is about some good people living in Mexico, some very good people who, I believe, are far more representative of the "average Mexican" ( if such a being actually exists) than are the bad guys you target in your rhetoric.

Anyway, my wife and I arrived in Puerto yesterday and picked up our car this a.m. from the mini-bodega. Because the car had been sitting for nearly 9 months, we decided to take it for a short spin down the highway toward Chila. To make a long story short, the car breaks down on a dangerous curve, leaving us sitting absolutely still in the middle of the highway. No phone. No nothing. Within less than 2 minutes, a car with a family of Puerto-ites --mother , father, 2 kids + a one year-old baby -- stops and offers to help push the car to the side of the road. Muchas gracias. So while the family of Puerto-ites is pushing the car to the side of the road, several other locals stop and join in the pushing. Soon a small assemblage of men, women and children -- and, o yes, the original family also had 2 dogs -- is gathered by the roadside. Much discussion takes place. Cell phones appear, ringing up mechanics, garages, tow trucks. At which point one of the rescuers -- dressed, by the way, in his Sunday best-- grabs an old piece of cardboard from somewhere and slides UNDER the car to see what's what. Dirt and dust everywhere. "No problema."

OK, you've got the point by now. But listen to this: Eventually a mechanic appears, diagnosis the problem -- faulty transmission -- and the car is towed away to the garage to be repaired perhaps even by tomorrow, which happens to be the first day of Dia de Los Muertos, So now my wife and I are left standing by the side of the road, feeling only immense gratitude for the kindness of strangers, when I pull out my wallet and offer the only form of thanks I can think of at the moment. "No, gracias." Please. "No, gracias." At which point, mother, father, the two kids, the 1 year-old baby and the two dogs climb back into their car and resume their journey to the playa where they were headed before stopping.

Nothing left to commemorate this not-so-small act of kindness but a grungy piece of cardboard by the side of the road.

Perhaps, Mr. Trump, you should add this anecdote in your next campaign speech, if only to strike a note of balance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 05:28PM by not uncle morty.
Re: Att'n: Donald Trump
October 31, 2016 05:33PM
Great story! And I've witnessed and heard of similar things many times. It's one of the reasons I'm here...
October 31, 2016 06:14PM
yes ..just a great story, it's happened to me in Baha..it's just so great .
October 31, 2016 09:30PM
Me too. I wish I had kept a journal of all the kind deeds by Mexicans to me through the years. And, like the ones in your story, they refused compensation.
October 31, 2016 10:28PM
I'm not sure about the political connection, but great story. And, very true, many a Mexican have helped me through an impossible situation- not all so romantic and smooth- all with a fortunate outcome. Also a lot of great expats out there; a decade and a half old thanks to geriande; she changed my life.
Ah, hoping for a prompt return.
November 01, 2016 01:51PM
Aw, Tommy that was sooooo long ago. I luv your Mom. give her a hug, por favor!
November 01, 2016 03:12PM
Beautiful story! Thanks for posting!
November 01, 2016 04:56PM
Very nice story. A refreshing reminder that renews our faith in many of the locals...
November 02, 2016 07:50AM
November 02, 2016 12:22PM
Totally correct story I believe
Have had many such instances my self
But this has nothing to do with illegals crossing into the US
Or Trump
I have spent 20 winters here in Mexico all of my friends and social life is Mexican or Expats
Love them all
But no country Not even the US can afford to open its borders to the world
Remember how much time and money it costs you to get your tourist pass
Then your FM
And now the costs and fees and time to get perminante Residente card
I have been working towards Mexican citizenship for almost 20 years now and still do not have
Wayne Overby
November 03, 2016 01:26AM
What gives you the impression that the borders will be, quote, "open"?
Its very much a closed border today, like most borders. Leaky? Sure. Like most borders. Extending the existing wall stretches will have little impact. Clinton has no plans to change the border for the worse. Infact she emphasises the need for continued border protection.

Did you know that now there are more Mexicans leaving the states than going there ilegally? They are catching on to the lie about the american dream, which only really is doable if your daddy gives you a small loan of 12.000.000 dollars. And by stealing money from the rest of the people by being dishonest with your tax filings. Maybe they realize they are better than that and want to go back to their slightly less insane homecountry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 01:27AM by paal.
November 03, 2016 07:39AM
I've been coming here 32 years. While the ocean and mountains are beautiful it is the people that I love. Sorry to be going home to cold Canada today.
November 14, 2016 07:41AM
I have also been moved by the tremendous warmth of the Mexican people, again and again.I am offering my services to my many neighbors who will soon be deported. Not to the first wave, the 2-3 million criminals who will be immediately deported, to those I will wave bye.But as Trump said, once those are gone, we can look at the rest. Those with a wife and kid in mexico, here only working and sending money back to soon return, should be the next to go.The rest, those who have kids in the US, who work and send them to school here, should be interviewed, have references checked, and then a decision made.To those,I will offer my assistance, and provide references to those I know.
November 14, 2016 08:18AM
Puerto is high on my list of places to go. too bad it is becoming a big resort. the condition of the ocean is a problem.

surviving trump will test americans north and south. I had planned on relocating already.
November 14, 2016 08:49AM
Maybe Trump will use Norway's policy as a template (where immigration is illegal)?
November 14, 2016 08:59AM
Illegal ?
According to Wiki the immigrant population of Norway is 16.3%.

Or do you mean "Illegal" immigration is illegal ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2016 09:01AM by Gil.
November 14, 2016 09:36AM
Naturalization is illegal since 1976.
November 14, 2016 10:41AM
Not really,

Someone has to have lived in Norway for 3 years and then apply for a residence permit and only then apply for citizenship after a few more years of residency. The requirements are quite stringent and vary according to your country of citizenship.
November 14, 2016 12:33PM
Well, if THAT'S the case Gil, then it DOES appear that America's President Elect has indeed "used Norway's policy as a template" !

PS:
In fact, it also appears that SO HAS Mexico.....!!!! '-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2016 12:35PM by KR.
November 15, 2016 05:35AM
Norway does have an aggressive policy accepting vast swaths of refugees and Europeans through its daliance with the EU. Sorry if this was misconstrued.
November 15, 2016 07:00AM
Ambiguous. Aggressive for or aggressive against?
November 15, 2016 01:25PM
JFTR, β€œaccepting vast swaths of refugees and Europeans” foreigners as NEW Norwegian residents under ANY situational characterization, IS quite normally referred to as β€œimmigrants”…… Worldwide.

And that is certainly no misconstruing. In fact, if in doubt, ask the Americans!!! β€˜-o
November 16, 2016 12:43AM
I feel like I have some insight that is required at this point. As far as my American uncle, British stepfather, Russian stepmother and Russian stepbrother -- all with Norwegian passports and fully fledged citizenships -- are conserned, they have no idea what you have been smoking or why you would claim something like that with no basis in real life. After recently having reviewed the process required to get my mexican spouse to receive the same courtesy, I see no reason why she would be excluded.

Here you go. Apply at will. [www.udi.no]

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 02:26AM by paal.
November 16, 2016 05:09AM
Nice and EZ website, paal, from The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)
November 16, 2016 07:57PM
From 1976 the Norwegian Storting (state) froze immigration for all but refugees and humanitarian appeals due to the poor integration of the mostly Pakistani workers brought in to ramp up oil production in the years just prior. I know because I investigated immigrating in the late nineties when the freeze was still in place. Perhaps the stark juxtaposition of said long-term freezing and the postfacto changes to the law encouraging a (much) more multicultural Norway (which law I had heretofore not known about) much contributed to Anders Brevik's 2011 anti immigration backlash attack ambushing and killing 77 very young Norwegians at a summer camp for the political party responsible for said loosening of immigration policy? I remember exactly where I was when this happened. I was horrified but not altogether surprised. For perspective, a similar scaled attack in the US would have left 5,000 youth dead. By the way, Brevik was sentenced to 21 years in jail only. I find this a truly fascinating detail. Trump may yet pull a freeze. Don't rule it out is all I'm saying. Maybe the moral of the story is that immigration policy works best when change moves slowly (as there are so many moving parts). Thanks for bringing me up to date. NΓ₯r kan noen hjelpe meg med Γ₯ finne jobb?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 09:51AM by uso.
November 17, 2016 07:16AM
Moved because of topic drift.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. • Lo sentimos, no puedes responder a este tema. Ha sido cerrado.
| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |