Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusi๓n

Gunmen kill family of Mexican drug war hero

Posted by • Enviado por Pedro 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
Gunmen kill family of Mexican drug war hero
December 22, 2009 01:20PM
xxx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 12:38PM by Pedro.
Re: Gunmen kill family of Mexican drug war hero
December 23, 2009 08:01PM
Pedro,

While I understand that ignoring Calderon's anti-narco effort will not make it go away, I am not sure this forum is the place to highlight the day to day battles that constitute this war. I, like many Huatulco enthusiasts, visit these pages looking for the latest update on what restaurants are good, what new activities may be available during my annual visit etc. I fear that posts detailing the cycle of narco arrest and reprisal may result in tourists considering Huatulco as a vacation spot concluding the area is unsafe to visit. Having visited Huatulco 10 times and having read this forum for many years, it is clearly the opinion of Huatulco cognoscenti that personal safety for tourists and residents alike is not an issue. Perhaps your views on this latest tragic chapter would be better shared on a message board of a major DF media outlet. Please allow us visitors to use Huatulco as an paradise escape valve where the some of the ugly realities of modern life can be forgotten long enough to recharge our collective batteries. I submit that an enhanced tourism industry is one of the ways that jobs can be generated allowing for transition from reliance on a large black market economy. Frightening potential tourist does not further the cause.

Regards,
Stew.
December 24, 2009 06:29AM
Stew, what Pedro is reporting is on all major news sites. When visiting a foreign country one should be aware of local issues. Unfortunately there is narco activity in Huatulco and in most parts of Mexico. Oh yes, in the US of A and Canada too. Where i live there is more narco activity than in Huatulco. My wife and i feel safer in Huatulco than we do at home. I believe if you stay "on the straight & narrow" that you will be fine in Huatulco and for that matter most other spots. That has been our experience during the 10 visits to Huatulco so far. # 11 in 4 days!
December 24, 2009 08:43AM
I don't think I could have said it better Stew. I was hoping everyone would ignore the post and move on. Mina, I think all Stew was saying is that this forum should be used for information, things to do, places to stay, and sharing useful information about Huatulco and the surrounding area. Yes, there is a drug war raging in Mexico, but we can be informed using other sources. IMO

Brent
Anonymous User
December 28, 2009 11:05PM
I was planning a road trip to Guatemala, but after reading Pedro's article, I did some research and discovered that it is not advisable. There have been several road blocks and God knows what else. Thanks Pedro for your information. We should not be like ostriches - pretending problems do not exist. I read the article and all the news is "NEWS" and not some local gossip. Thanks for the news Pedro - please keep up with the news.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, s๓lo puedes enviar mensajes si estแs registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquํ para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |