Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusión

Arizona/Mexico border

Posted by • Enviado por susanmachin 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
Arizona/Mexico border
July 28, 2010 10:00PM
[cis.org]

This was interesting and as a Canadian I had no idea of how bad the traffic is over the border. Now I can begin to understand some of the regulations I have been hearing about and also understand what some of my American friends have been saying. Does this point to a real need for temporary entry for farm workers if the USA can't get enough of their own citizens to do it? If entry even short-term is legal then wouldn't everyone gain somehow? I am in northern BC and I have heard that the farms in the lower mainland are now being harvested by a mostly Mexican crew. Used to be the immigrants from India but I am told they now own the farms.
Re: Arizona/Mexico border
July 28, 2010 10:51PM
Susan, your speculations are right on the money. The East Indians own most of the berry crops in the Fraser Valley, right from Blueberries and Cranberries, to Strawberries and Raspberries. Mexican permitted staff are prevalent. Even where I live, they come in the fall and pick Salal and Cedar boughs for Christmas Wreaths. Some, before Christmas are Mexican school teachers, and they can make, easily a months wages in a few long days. Spend 2 months here, and they are set for a year or two. I don't know how many really go back home? Some Mexicans were building trails in the bush adjacent to a fancy resort here, also. By their standards, they can't loose. Can't blame them, as long as they are legal.
Where would California be, without Mexican labour and crops that can't be machine harvested????
Re: Arizona/Mexico border
July 28, 2010 11:11PM
Well, a movie that was a riot to watch, likely had more than a grain of truth to it was called A DAY IN A LIFE WITHOUT A MEXICAN, i reccommend it for fun but also some education on the matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sólo puedes enviar mensajes si estás registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquí para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |