Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusiσn

cool mexican rockers / sixties pop trivia

Posted by • Enviado por Uncle Mort 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
cool mexican rockers / sixties pop trivia
July 27, 2010 07:27PM
Anybody familiar with this nouveau surf accented band from up the coast called LOST ACAPULCO? Their name kept cropping up as i tried to get more info about the ESQUIZITOS, a surf-punk-wrestling driven conjunto with a female drummer.

Oaxaca Rincon de la Marimba band--comprised of young 'semi-professionals'--get a trip to Shanghai, do they ever play Puerto?

[www.milenio.com]

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 09:04PM by Uncle Mort.
Re: Lost Acapulco
July 28, 2010 09:12AM
Re: Lost Acapulco
October 03, 2010 10:29AM
a satisfying banda/electronica mix comes from the grupo MEXICAN INSTITUTE OF SOUND, album PiΓ±ata.. Also check out the NORTEC COLLECTIVE, esp a song called "Tengo la Voz".
Re: Mexican Institute of Sound / Lost Acapulco
October 08, 2010 06:40AM
Trivia to rot your brain:

Beatles/Elvis/Sinatra sold the MOST ALBUMS worldwide in the 1960s.
But which group came in #4? (ie it's not Chubby Checker or Bobby Vinton!)
Beatles & Lennon remembered
October 09, 2010 07:02AM
October 9 was John's actual birthday. Double air sign, moon in Aquarius. We were born a day apart, years apart; but we both grew up with record scavenging souls and married asians. His singing gave an angry and provocative edge to the Fab Four sound. "I don't want to spoil the party so i'll go/ i would hate my disappointment to show, There's nothing for me here, so i will disappear..." But never forget that Paul was the glue that held that band together.

Number one yeah yeah yeah. At one point in early april 1964: the Beatles held ONE THROUGH FIVE top singles in the USA. Name the US artist who knocked the Beatles off #1 finally. In Mexico City they turned Radio Capital into a fulltime anglo rocknroll station overnight. Blind American dj Larry Johnson did an english language hit parade show on friday nights. Radio Exitos soon flipped their format too. The stores wre awash with mexican pressings of their singles & albums. Which reminds me of my question:

right behind the Beatles came which band? as the #2 album selling group of that era. Including 8 weeks at #1 with an LP from 1965. Several hundred tons of em sold in Mexico City (including to me). swingin' music to shake off the blues. enough clues for youse? And their first b side was called Acapulco 1922. Close enough to Puerto Escondido for this forum!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 07:12AM by Uncle Mort.
Re: Lennon's lads fab in DF / Mexican Institute of Sound / Lost Acapulco
October 09, 2010 08:20AM
I wish he were alive today. SO I COULD F#%&I*N KILL HIM. Ike turner now there was a song writer.
October 09, 2010 09:21AM
as to ike , if i remember he kept jumping out of basement windows trying to kill himself
happy trails jet
October 09, 2010 09:24AM
Jeez Marty i thought we were dealing with a Sinatra freak. So sweet of you to repeat yourself until someone noticed. Kill off that bottle instead. Marty have you read "I Tina"? Maybe Lennon wrote "Happiness is a Warm Gun" for him.
October 09, 2010 09:39AM
just trying to get a rise out of everyone. Its so easy my fellow travelers.please dont take me serious.
Re: Lennon &co, fab in DF / 2d biggest band of the sixties?
October 09, 2010 07:01PM
rolling stones

gottagobye
driftllastic
October 10, 2010 08:58AM
Thanx for playing Drifto! Solid guess, pero no son Los Rolling.

Farkem may know the answer but i doubt he ever reviewed this mystery band. But... their first big record included the cheers of 10,000 people, it seemed as though they were playing in a stadium.

October 10: happy birthday Thelonius Monk, Brigitte Bardot. Libras got rhythm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 09:00AM by Uncle Mort.
October 10, 2010 12:10PM
Cry to Me: Solomon Burke has left the building.

[www.rawstory.com]
Re: RIP Brother Solomon Burke y'all / Beatles flip DF / 2d biggest band of the sixties?
October 10, 2010 01:33PM
"At one point in early april 1964: the Beatles held ONE THROUGH FIVE top singles in the USA. Name the US artist who knocked the Beatles off #1 finally."

Louis Armstrong, "Hello Dolly" ?

"Several hundred tons of em sold in Mexico City (including to me). swingin' music to shake off the blues. enough clues for youse?"

Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass (notice no ?...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 01:48PM by Dennis Miller.
Re: RIP Brother Solomon Burke y'all / Beatles flip DF / 2d biggest band of the sixties?
October 10, 2010 01:45PM
yeeeeeeeeeeesssss. Satchmo it was. congratumalations and come on down Dennis.
Re: Dennis answers trivia qu / RIP Brother Solomon Burke y'all / Beatles flip DF / 2d biggest band of the sixties?
October 10, 2010 02:20PM
Oh Dennis, oh wow. I can't believe you did it (jumping up and down). I should have known it would be you (holding head in hands). You are unbelievable. How did you know this? (Crying now) This is just insane. You are the man. Yeah!!!! Oh my god. Oh my god. oh my god. He did it. He did it. This has got to be the happiest day of my life. Oh god. (on the floor on my back clapping hands and feet)
Re: clock ticking: 2d biggest band of the sixties? not the Monkees either
October 12, 2010 05:06AM
Sleepy crowd here. Forget world politics and focus on the important stuff. Old records.

One of the group's hits, featured a Mexican taxicab honking its horn in a town i'd rather avoid. Another hit, they had to tinker with the title because it referred to a sexual stimulant. But their first hit was pure bull. Their most popular album, all the songs were about food. We can't get rid of these records at my shop. Not because they're bad but everybody has a copy by now.

And now you've got it. Right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 05:14AM by Uncle Mort.
October 12, 2010 07:53AM
herb alpert and the tijuana brass
October 12, 2010 10:02AM
Por fin! (scroling up i see Dennis slipped a TJB answer in also.)

Nadamas and Dennis win a free ride in Herb's TIJUANA TAXI, clutching the '65 hit album WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS,to the stadium where TJB's first hit THE LONELY BULL was played before a taped crowd. SPANISH FLEA was originally called Spanish Fly btw.

They didn't need my last Mexican clue: that TJB did more to popularize the MARIMBA than any mexican band ever did... In the liner notes Alpert sez he NEVER LISTENED to mariachi music, he just took some flavor and the local instruments and did his own thing.
Re: make it marimba: TJB= 2d biggest band of the sixties
October 12, 2010 10:25AM
How this thread of junk remains on the Pto forum is perplexing. Whats next the trial of Husan?
Re: make it marimba: TJB= 2d biggest band of the sixties
October 12, 2010 11:52AM
L.T. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How this thread of junk remains on the Pto forum
> is perplexing. Whats next the trial of Husan?

This from the same folks who posted:Enduring Justice [ PM ] [hide msgs from this user]
Anyone heard of this????????
October 07, 2010 02:43PM IP/Host: dsl-187-171-12-113-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx
Has anyone heard of a new internet site in the works? It is supposedly a site covering Pto. Escondido and the surrounding area. Street talk is it will feature day to day news,weather,events, and a buy sell swap thread too. I only hope it allows the news and events to flow unrestricted and uncensored. Especially nice would be a visitor/resident commentary section. Getting the truth out is what this area needs. Censorship sucks!

and:
L.T. [ PM ] [hide msgs from this user]
Re: Anyone heard of this????????
October 11, 2010 10:47AM IP/Host: dsl-187-132-174-45-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx
This one needs to be bumped up for a few days. Thanks
Re: trumpets&marimba: TJB= 2d biggest band of the sixties
October 12, 2010 04:06PM
Very doubtful my dear Watson.
Re: cool mexican rockers / sixties pop trivia
October 13, 2010 08:15AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 11:16AM by Uncle Mort.
Re: cool mexican rockers / sixties pop trivia
October 24, 2010 05:51PM
Mexican Beatles tribute group HELP! played recently in oaxaca:

<[www.imparcialenlinea.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sσlo puedes enviar mensajes si estαs registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquν para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |