Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Colima >> Colima - Comala >> Topic

restaurants in Colima, Colima

Posted by Willie Bodrak 
restaurants in Colima, Colima
May 16, 2011 08:16AM
If you have had a good/great dining experience in Colima or Comala or in the surrounding area, would you please share the name of the restaurant and where it is?
Thanks!
Re: restaurants in Colima, Colima
May 16, 2011 02:54PM
Willie,

We love to eat at Restaurant Antiqua when in Comala.

When in Colima we like to eat at Ahquenanishe. They serve some great food, Oaxacan style. We also have had pleasant experiences at Charcoal de la Hiquera.
The best food is the street food during the Festival of Guadalupe in December. Stretches for a couple of blocks and it great.

Jeff and Lisa
May 16, 2011 05:38PM
Do you live in Colima or just visit? We have been to all of those a number of times & agree with you about them. We have not done the Festival of Guadalupe.........is that in Colima as well?

We also enjoy Mentadas.....Napoli.....La Cumparsita....Bella Paese....Aroma.....all in Colima and are always looking for new dining experiences. We also like El Fogon in Comala but they close at 2 pm, normally, as well as the French restaurant and we can't forget AdoBe, the pizza place all in Comala. Those are some the ones we really enjoy. When we need a "grasa fix", we head over to the botaneros.
May 17, 2011 06:14AM
Dear Willie,

We do not live in Colima ( yet ). We are moving on a fulltime basis to a town 45 minutes north of the city in August of this year.. Plan to stay there 6 months or so while looking for a place to rent in central Colima.
The Festival of Guadalupe goes from Dec 2-Dec 12. We have spent the last couple of days of the festival in Colima the last 2 years. Actually, we rented a room with a balcony at Hotel Ceballos for those nites and had the festivities in our front yard , so to speak. Food, music, great people. Just a great time for us.
Forgot to mention a great breakfast we had at Jupiter's bed and breakfast in Comala. The stay there was very relaxing and quite nice. We are planning on spending another nite there sometime next month as we are going to Mexico to begin to set up our rental in a couple of weeks.

Jeff and Lisa
May 17, 2011 03:01PM
La Casa de la Piedra out beside Home Depot is pretty impressive. Great open kitchen and grille. Complimentary salsas custom
made for you at your table.
The buffet breakfast at the Ceballos is tough to beat, but for a quick, Mexican breakfast, " El Trebol" is just across
the park from the Ceballos and offers good food at a great price.
Good restaurants right downtown are a bit of a rarity...suggestions ?
May 17, 2011 05:06PM
We too have eaten at La Piedra a couple of times....pretty good. We find the Ceballos only adequate for food but do enjoy having an "adult" beverage there & doing some people watching. My husband really likes El Charco de Higuera near Ah Que Nanish, which I like too. Aroma is our go to place for fine dining & incredible service. La Cumparsita is also excellent food & service....... Having come from Mazatlan, with a much larger, year 'round foreign population, we have been sort of disappointed in the lack of variety of food types. We have yet to find a Thai or varietal asian dining, short of sushi which seems quite prevelant & is not our "thing". I NEED a Thai fix...........!!!! We have found/experienced:
Oaxacan, Argentinian, Italian, French & of course Mexican. We also enjoy going out to Tonila to the ex-Hacienda La Esperanza.....sort of hidden but a great menu & food in a beautiful setting - if you like a sense of the past.
May 17, 2011 05:15PM
Jeff & Lisa, Where will you be 45 min N of Colima? That's a long way to commute to look for a rental, which really shouldn't be a problem to find in Colima, or do you plan on having 2 places? We used to stay at Jupiter & Mara's B&B before we rented our place in Comala (very hard to find).....in fact we spent 73 days there in 2009! Love them to pieces!! You couldn't ask for more gracious hosts! We would suggest being as far north in Colima as possible, so you will be a bit cooler than downtown or the south side.
Let us know when you will be in Comala & maybe we could meet at the botaneros for a cool one....
Re: restaurants in Colima, Colima (long)
May 17, 2011 07:01PM
We are, by any definition, budget travelers and budget diners, although we do splurge from time to time. Our Big Splurge during last winter in Comala was lunch at Hacienda San Antonio with two other couples. Here's what I sent to some family and friends about it:
We arrived at the entrance gate at the appointed time. The guard there took our reservation letter, called in to confirm its veracity, and then let us through. We drove through a quarter mile of old growth tropical forest to the hacienda where we were greeted by an elegant young woman who suggested we tour the hacienda and grounds before dining. As I recall, the hacienda was built in the late 1800s and encompassed land all the way to the coast which is at least 30 miles away. In subsequent years, much of the land holdings diminished as it went through several owners and a revolution or three before finally falling into disrepair - a photo on one wall shows a couple of rusting old tractors beside some deteriorating buildings. In the late 1980s, the present and presumably quite rich current owner began its renovation, which was completed in the early 1990s. They brought in designers from France, and searched Mexico for the finest of antiques and art. The grounds were immaculately manicured with flower-bordered pathways, pools, and fountains. The hacienda featured ornate carved wood detailing, elegant furniture, and gorgeous frescoes of the region's flowers and birds. The whole place was the epitome of tranquility - even the suites had no TVs, although there was one in the library.
We were seated for lunch at an outside table overlooking the main gardens and fountains. Each of the kitchen staff came over, introduced him/herself, and told us about their lunch selection for us. Much of the menu was produced at their organic gardens and served family style. I don't remember the details, but the meal began with guacamole (a seemingly simple recipe but wonderful), followed by a salad of tossed greens and a miraculous Italian dressing, and then the main entree of grilled sea bass, huge grilled shrimp, herbed chicken breasts, and a fourth entree that I can't recall right now, all accompanied by a mixed vegetable platter. That was followed by a selection of fresh ice creams or sorbets, or mango torts. Capping it all off was a small serving of their house-produced mango brandy. I think there was another course in there somewhere but I can't remember what it was now. After we finished, our tour of the grounds and hacienda continued - we even saw the secluded Olympic-sized swimming pool since there was no one there.
The bill came to over $400 for the six of us, including tip. Worth it? Absolutely! But I don't know if I'll do it again next year.
May 18, 2011 05:25AM
Willie,

Sending you a private message.
May 19, 2011 12:05PM
Ok, well no one has mentioned the Pinar del Chayan a couple of feet from Hacienda la Esperanza in Tonila. It belongs to a friend of mine and something many people do not know is that they serve Tai food in the afternoon. Well at least that is what they did after six. Another place you might want to try out is Hacienda de Chiapa for sunday buffete.

Well until our next find, we will post. Saludos from Comala!
June 08, 2011 07:06AM
Yesterday a friend and I went to breakfast at La Terricta in Comala, which was excellent.

Go up Hidalgo to Guadalupe Victoria - 2 blocks n. of the church - turn right, go down the street & you have to turn left. The restaurant is on your left & the arroyo is the right. Plenty of parking.

Very good food - I had the chiliquiles with chicken, bean & coffe & it came to $45 mx. Beautful, peaceful seating.

Open 7 days a week 8 am - 12:30 p.m.
June 16, 2011 05:22PM
Since I didn't know about this forum while we were in Comala this winter, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the names of restaurants we visited and don't know the name of this one. If you're coming into Comala from Villa, go right at the Pemex - the road to Nogueras. About half way up the long block on the left is a restaurant whose exterior features a flapping plastic sign on a metal frame and a hammered iron gate. We had driven past it a hundred times since it was just around the corner from our place. When we could see in, it looked like a primitive outdoor kitchen with a few pots sitting around. Looks were deceiving. Tasteful stone sidewalks zig-zagged to private tables set among the trees, each path lighted by luminaries - those candle things in white paper bags. Like the paths, the tables were candle-lit. The place sprawled over nearly two acres and was beautiful. I was completely blown away. The food was good although the service was a bit spotty since they were packed - it was Valentine's Day which the owners learned is beginning to catch on in Mexico. If it hadn't been for our friends Rosa and Miguel from Hostal Casa Blanca asking if we wanted to try it, we would never have stopped.
June 17, 2011 09:11AM
We've by that same place many times - guess we'll have to stop in!
Have you any idea if Rosa & Miguel are around -we live just around the corner from them but haven't seen the sign out in a looong time & wondered if they had gone back north?
June 19, 2011 01:07PM
Barring catastrophy, I can't imagine them going back north. I know Rosa would be happy to never leave Mexico again, a sentiment we came to appreciate after returning to Iowa in late March and a mistake we won't make again. They're probably spending time with Miguel's family near Tecoman.
October 20, 2011 02:29PM
Without a doubt you need to go Cenaduria Julia in Villa de Álvarez. My wife is from Colima and we visit three times a year or so. The first stop after the ride from GDL is to Julia. Sopitos is the classic dish but the tostadas de lomo are amazing as well. This regional cuisine that you will not find anywhere else and Julia does it right!

It is on Leandro Valle in Villa de Álvarez. Check it out Villa de Alvarez
October 20, 2011 06:52PM
In the last month or so we have eaten at Carne Asada Munoz which I believe is on Constitucion Ave. A little pricey but a nice relaxed atmoshere and a salad bar. My wife and friends got the beef and I got camaron. All enjoyed their meals.

Last week I went to Aqua Chile. It is seafood only and the food was very good. I can't wait to return. It is located on Aniseto Castellanes # 93 in the San Pueblo area of Colima. A very nice gentlemen who lives and works in the area took us there. Always trust the locals.

Jeff and Lisa
November 27, 2011 09:20AM
We have just returned from a two nite stay in comala and discovered a restaurant just up the street away from the town square from Antigua in Comala..Its a french man and his cafe serves a combination french/mexican food it was very good we ate there two times while we were there...check it out...i think he is only open for dinner..

If you know where antiqua is just keep walking away from the square, cross the bridge and he is on the right..
November 28, 2011 09:33AM
AdoBe Pizza. The Best Pizza in the World So Far has a second location in Colima. It is on Ignacio Sandoval 1652 (Leon Felipe), Colima. I haven't been there yet but my wife has and says that is twice the size and the same wonderful ambiance as the one in Comala, and has the same excellent pizza. The young owners report that there has been a lot of interest in their opening new restaurants elsewhere in Mexico and the U.S.
Restaurante Gourmet. (I just got scooped at bit on this one by Bailey) This wonderful and romantic French restaurant has a new location at Progresso 88 Comala Centro, just across the bridge and on the other side of the street from the Antigua Comala restaurant. The prices are reasonable (same as last year), the food wonderful (I recommend the New York strip if you don't go for the crepes) and plan to soon try the brochetas, and they also have quiche and ravioli. The owner speaks French and Spanish but not so good English. Since it is now much closer to the Centro, it should be a much better location.
Antigua Comala. I would not have even revisited this subject except for the experience of a couple we met at Restaurante Gourmet a couple of nights ago. They read about it on Tomzap, went in, and were ignored for 10 minutes before giving up and wandering down to Restaurante Gourmet, which they loved. This reminded us of our experiences there (this was the place I was thinking of in a previous post). The first time, the guy at the counter made a sarcastic remark about my Spanish (easy to do but not good customer relations) and refused to let us sit in the otherwise empty terrace overlooking the stream. The food was good; the service spotty. The second time, they would also not let us sit on the terrace, brought us the drinks we ordered, and then pointedly ignored us until I finally went up (the server would not come to us again), paid for the drinks, and left. My impression was that the owner should have fired everyone but the cook. Of course, we won't be going back.
July 09, 2012 05:21AM
Hello Dear

We love to eat at Restaurant Antiqua when in Comala.

Thanks

Auto Accident Lawyers
July 13, 2012 02:38PM
Ok, its been some time since we have posted something here but . . . . . . . . . . .

a photos says more than a thousand words!

If you like the food in the Napoli in Camino Real, you are going to enjoy the food PLUS an EXCELLENT view of the NEW NAPOLI located on downtown Colima just above the Musuem of Regional History kitty corner from the Governors Palace!

COMBINE fabulous food with a great view and there you have it an excellent option for a good afternoon or evening meal!

Enjoy Italian thin crust pizzas and pastas at its best!

Saludos!

[www.AdmireMexicoTours.com]
AdmireMexicoTours@hotmail.com
THE LOCAL EXPERTS

Follow us on Facebook: Admire Mexico Tours DMC
Follow our blog: [AdmireMexicoTours.blogspot.com]

September 18, 2012 08:35AM
I heard second hand that Restaurante Gourmet in Comala has closed. I can't say I'm surprised since business was usually slow in the high season and presumably worse in the summer. The owner was a wonderful guy with a great product so I'm sorry to see him go. There is a rumor that he may reopen in Colima - I hope he does. This gives Restaurant Antigua an opportunity to capture some of his business if they get their service problem solved. I hope so - the food was very good.
September 18, 2012 05:10PM
Yep, Bob.....when I was by there the other day, it was locked up...furniture stacked up. He had told us jokingly that he might go back to France for a while......I will ask the mailman the next time I see him. See you soon!
November 04, 2012 07:51PM
Hello just to informe that we will have a new dinner option in town with spanish wine. We will post more information soon. It will open Nov 30th.
Just a couple of blocks away from Casa Alvarada B&B.
Saludos!

THE LOCAL EXPERTS

November 30, 2012 08:07AM
All restaurants are good, In Colima El Trebol at Degollado 59 is excellent for morning meal or primary Comida. Ay Que Naniche at 5 de Mayo 97 is an genuine Oaxacan position we really experienced. Mole negro, mezcals.

gold coast holiday house
December 13, 2012 11:32AM
Just back from the Virgin of Guadalupe festival. Go next year on the 11th as that night is the big night, not the actual day, the. 12th Ate at the Oaxacan restaurant in this thread on condo de mayo. Mole as good as Oaxaca. Also went the Basta Pasta. Also great. I happened to order the fettuccine el chipotle with shrimp. Very reasonable. Only the fettucini is hand made and the owner told me all other pastas are not hand made. It came with a nice salad. A bit hard to find, but once found, well worth it. Warning, the food comes fast, so relax, have a beer, order an appetizer to share and then give your entrée order . Have fun!
December 22, 2012 08:08PM
There are a few small restaurants that have opened in downtown Comala and we tried one tonight. It’s the Harumi Japanese place on 5 De Mayo #15, Centro. It’s tiny but pleasant and the food was excellent. We got tepanyakis and yakimechis, both reasonably priced. They also have a large selection of sushi but we have found that most local sushi includes Philadelphia cheese and lacks wasabi and gari. They do not have beer or wine. We hope some of these places will be supported since Comala could use some additional dining options.
December 25, 2012 09:08AM
Comala Host-
Has this place opened? "Hello just to informe that we will have a new dinner option in town with spanish wine. We will post more information soon. It will open Nov 30th."
If so, where is it? Have you tried it?
Thanks!
January 16, 2013 08:30PM
I have not been there yet, I understand that the concept is more like a bar and it opens at 9:00pm Friday and Saturday.
Saludos,

THE LOCAL EXPERTS

November 24, 2013 06:59AM
am trying to get info on "schedule" of events,parades, etc for the Guadelupe Fiesta so I know when to come...
also a reasonable place to stay for 4 women (Ceballos is lovely,but...)

any ideas would be welcome :-)

Laura
Barra de Nav
November 25, 2013 07:28AM
It took me a bit but here it is:
[www.facebook]

I'm not on FB so I don't know if non-FB can use it, and I didn't try.
We did go the huge horse parade yesterday, but there are more to come.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |