Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Colima >> Colima - Comala >> Topic

Dog Hunt

Posted by ScottM 
Dog Hunt
August 15, 2010 06:27PM
The nice artisan shop just around the corner from Hotel Ceballos used to carry a clay 'grave dog' of exceptional quality. These were pretty
large creations (about the size of a real Chihuaha)...
Last few times I've dropped in, they just seemed to have the small (cruder) mutts.
Where are these things fabricated ? Are they available directly from a sculptor in the area ? Do they come from elswhere (Tonala?)
The artist shop won't tell me where to get them, and just shrug their shoulders when I ask if they will be getting more.
Would like to buy a few more when we get down for the winter...any other shops outside of the downtown to look for these guys ?
Thanks guys...
Re: Dog Hunt
August 16, 2010 08:57AM
Hi, this is right up my alley.

The Colima Dog by Susan Dearing

There are several copies of the Colima Dog you can find around the Hotel Ceballos.

But if you want the real thing at practically the same price you can get it at the Nogueras handcraft shop in Nogueras Comala.

Guillermo Rios Alcalá is the artesan in charge to keep the Colima Dog alive. He was published in a book called "Great Masters of the Mexican Folk Art" he is one of the best and he is in Colima.

In our Colima history and traditions tour we get to visit his workshop where you can see how he make these Dogs and perhaps you can get it directly from him.

Well hope this works for you.

Saludos from Comala.

[www.AdmireMexicoTours.com]
AdmireMexicoTours@hotmail.com
THE LOCAL EXPERTS

Follow us on Facebook: Admire Mexico Tours DMC
Follow our blog: [AdmireMexicoTours.blogspot.com]

August 16, 2010 10:21AM
Perfect answer. Thanks for your help ! The sculpture that I currently have may have come from his studio. The quality is exceptional.
Adios y Gracias..Scott M
August 16, 2010 04:07PM
Here is a way you can check if it is the real thing, underneath of the dog on one of the paws it would have a "GR" standing for Guillermo Rios, his name. He had to do this to all the pieces he reproduced because they were so real, people that bought them had trouble at customs. Now they don´t!

Saludos from Comala!
Casa Alvarada Bed & Breakfast in Comala

[www.AdmireMexicoTours.com]
AdmireMexicoTours@hotmail.com
THE LOCAL EXPERTS

Follow us on Facebook: Admire Mexico Tours DMC
Follow our blog: [AdmireMexicoTours.blogspot.com]

August 16, 2010 04:47PM
We have purchased several pieces from Sr. Rios, who is a very charming gentleman and his prices are quite reasonable, considering how much work goes into a piece. We were introduced to him by Jupiter on one of his tours - which are always most informational and the material he shares in NOT made up...it is the truth. We also went to Banamex in downtown Colima and adquired the book of artisans that Jupiter referred to and it was well worth the expenditure. Now to get as many signatures in it as possible before these gems are lost.!
December 17, 2010 07:29AM
Managed to finally get to Nogueras, and, alas, the mutt I was looking for was not available. "Zizi" the wonderful keeper of the Nogueras
handicraft outlet, called Sr. Rios, and arranged to have him custom make one for us !
A couple of weeks later, I met with her for coffee at the Ceballos, and she had the beautifully made perro ready for us. She also arranged
for me to meet Sr. Rios at his studio adjoining the museum. A fine craftsman and true gentleman.
I also discovered that the well made sculpture I already had, was not his, but actually done by his brother. I was really pleased with the dog we already had, but the workmanship on the recent one from Sr. Rios was obviously superior.(and signed!)
To top it off, Zizi had dolled the sculpture up with Christmas bows and a scarf....a nice touch. She is truly accomodating and a great source of local information. She also has a very good command of English, which offset my lame Spanish.
Thanks for your help folks....I can see a trip back coming up...
December 17, 2010 07:35AM
He also has/had a studio in the Museo Universitario de Artes Populares a few blocks from downtown

[sparks-mexico.com]

Sparks Blog - Melaque Blog - Costalegre
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |