Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Jalisco >> La Manzanilla - Tenacatita - Boca de Iguanas >> Topic

Colima salt

Posted by sungal 
Colima salt
March 11, 2018 11:33AM
I always bring back a sack of the Colima salt for my daughter-in-law, who loves to use it for cooking. It's sold in large white plastic sacks in many of the stores in Melaque - quite inexpensive, and labeled "Los Artesanos de la sal."

Perhaps this is nothing new, but I was looking at the bag today, and it says it is iodized and fluoridated ("YODATADA Y FLUORADA") - I googled the fluoridation of salt in Mexico and see that it has been happening nationwide since 1991. I think maybe I just never noticed the info on the bag before.

Does anyone know the ramifications of using this salt here in the US or Canada? My daughter-in-law is on a private well water system, so her water is not fluoridated, but I wonder if this is okay for the grandchildren?
Re: Colima salt
January 31, 2019 10:58AM
Hello,

What I know is that it is iodized and fluoridated to prevent an illness called goiter disease (Bocio) in spanish.
They add the Iodine and flourid just before they put in the bag the salt.

The Colima salt is considered one of the three best cooking salts in the world. So pretty safe to use.

Saludos!

Jupiter

[www.AdmireMexicoTours.com]
AdmireMexicoTours@hotmail.com
THE LOCAL EXPERTS

Follow us on Facebook: Admire Mexico Tours DMC
Follow our blog: [AdmireMexicoTours.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 11:00AM by Comala Host.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |