Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Jalisco >> La Manzanilla - Tenacatita - Boca de Iguanas >> Topic

Access to Tenacatita?

Posted by quemazon 
Access to Tenacatita?
February 28, 2013 10:20AM
From what I gather, access to Tenacatita was restricted some time in 2010. Can anyone provide an update? I see that about a year ago there was talk about the situation improving, but I haven't seen much since.

I will be in the area in April with my family, and we would like to do some snorkeling. I know there are tour guides that can take us there, but I'd like to know about doing it on our own. We will have a vehicle, and we've traveled extensively in Mexico. Thanks
Re: Access to Tenacatita?
February 28, 2013 02:12PM
Surrounded by police, no food or drink, no bathrooms and very little shade. Bring your own everything but leave the beer at home

Sparks Blog - Melaque Blog - Costalegre
March 12, 2013 11:21AM
Someone told me the police wouldnt let you in unless you surrender your passport at the gate. They said they had no other problems, has anyone else heard this??
November 20, 2013 11:30AM
We visited Tenacatita a number of times last Jan to Mar season (2012) and I haven't heard of any thing changing yet. The road in is blocked by a police check point just before you get to the beach. Federales I think. Someone has to provide ID usually the driver. A drivers licenses is good. They take the information down and check the vehicle for booze and drugs, that means everyone out of the vehicle. They seem friendly enough as far as armed federales go (and their guard dogs). You can take food and non-alcohol drinks. There are no toilet facilities and basically no shade except for a couple of palm umbrellas if they are still there. So go before you leave and bring something for shade or you'll fry if you plan on a few hour stay. Stay away from the buildings (the ones left standing) A number are in habitated by the federales and most are in need of repair. One other thing, they don't want you taking pictures especially pictures with them in it. The whole experience is a bit intimidating but if you can get past that the beach and ocean are beautiful there.
November 20, 2013 11:32AM
We visited Tenacatita a number of times last Jan to Mar season (2013) and I haven't heard of any thing changing yet. The road in is blocked by a police check point just before you get to the beach. Federales I think. Someone has to provide ID usually the driver. A drivers licenses is good. They take the information down and check the vehicle for booze and drugs, that means everyone out of the vehicle. They seem friendly enough as far as armed federales go (and their guard dogs). You can take food and non-alcohol drinks. There are no toilet facilities and basically no shade except for a couple of palm umbrellas if they are still there. So go before you leave and bring something for shade or you'll fry if you plan on a few hour stay. Stay away from the buildings (the ones left standing) A number are in habitated by the federales and most are in need of repair. One other thing, they don't want you taking pictures especially pictures with them in it. The whole experience is a bit intimidating but if you can get past that the beach and ocean are beautiful there.
November 20, 2013 11:38AM
Correction to my prevoius post on Tenacatita that should be "We visited Tenacatita a number of times last Jan to Mar season (2013)" not (2012)
November 20, 2013 01:47PM
We went to Tenacatita on Sunday, October 20th
The drive to the beach from the main highway was uneventful. There was a State police vehicle with a couple of officers parked about 1km before you reached the beach and, while this appeared to be a permanent set up, they were not stopping or taking any other action against the vehicles passing their location.
When we arrived at the beach we discovered a significant number of people there enjoying the day.
Just to the left of where the road intersects the beach road (approximately where Chely formerly had her restaurant is now a fairly substantial structure with a cement base (no walls) and a palapa roof. Across the road from this (away from the beach) is a building where a small number of security people were hanging out.
We had made our usual left turn upon reaching the beach road (we usually went to Chelys) and one of the security personnel stepped out on the roadway and directed us to a vacant parking spot right beside the new structure in the vicinity of what had been Chely’s.
We spoke briefly with him, telling him that we simply wanted to view the area and he was very pleasant and said it was ok and to go ahead and park next to this new structure which was basically comprised of a large cement base, with a small walled area in the middle, towards the road side, and a palapa roof. Several different Mexican families were using this, with some having brought small tables, chairs, coolers, etc.
On the beach, a bit to the right of this (looking towards the water) several small palapa roofed, umbrella like structures were in place and being used. Further to the right – towards what had been the hotel – a large number of families were enjoying the water.
What we did learn from the security man was that there are no facilities here whatsoever so you cannot buy drinks or food and there are no bathrooms. (Several stores are located in the towns on the way to the beach)
We hadn't planned to spend any time at the beach so hadn't taken any food or drinks so just stayed a short while - the beach is as beautiful as ever. As we left we again spoke briefly with the security personnel & confirmed that it was ok to come here for the day and bring whatever you want to eat and drink – and he said that beer was ok. The lack of bathrooms would definitely be a problem and shaded areas are at a premium.
November 20, 2013 03:22PM
Friends just went up a few days ago and said the "police" have been replaced with security guards. A guy at the gate just waves at you as you drive through and no problem bringing alcohol in. Very much more relaxed .... but still no facilities

November 25, 2013 04:06PM
We were there yesterday, a huge presence of State Police (20 plus), lots of nationals on the beach and a very few gringos. As previously stated, nothing there but beach and warm water. The atmosphere has totally changed and the place felt very unwelcoming to say the least. As I can not speak Spanish, I was not able to ask any questions but there are a lot of police making sure no one steals the sand....
November 25, 2013 05:03PM
We were there yesterday too .... and my friends idea that they weren't real police was wrong. They are State

I guess BEER wasn't there when it was really unfriendly .... confiscating alcohol, limiting foto taking and no friendly waves.

There's an extra palapa near the Y and the old 2 story restaurant that still stands off to the right is open upstairs and down for shade (no food).

Hate to say things are better because it's not much compared to years ago but it's still a beautiful beach and good snorkeling. Even had 3-4 pangas on the beach and a load of tourists landed in one.

Went up to Playa Boca just to see .... and that's about the only reason to go. Long bumpy ride, one restaurant is all that's left and the beach reminds me of Tecuan ... pretty and not swim-able.

December 05, 2013 02:25PM
In Canada the first thing the kids learn is "don't eat the yellow snow"........in Tenacatita "don't swim in the yellow water" ........ considering no bathroom facilities exist....when ya gotta go, ya gotta go, right?
March 25, 2014 10:32PM
We drove up there today. Police on the road watching us go in. A guard directed us where to park and said we could only walk on the beach and not to take pictures inland. Walked out to both beaches. Nice place. Lots of security presence.

Would love an update on what is happening politically and Real Estate wise. Is there anywhere one couuld look for more information other than here? Guadelajara Reporter seems down.
March 26, 2014 07:45AM
January 09, 2015 02:19AM
Is there a bus to Tenacatita? Aside from paying for a tour there, what are my options if I don't have a car? Thx.
January 09, 2015 07:53AM
Used to be a Rebalcito bus maybe only once a day but with beach closure there's no reason. Years ago we hired a taxi and he came back for us.

Find a friend or take a tour is about it

May 04, 2015 09:37AM
As of March31,2015 Tenacatita beach including Playa Mora and roads leading to are open. This is 24/7 and camping is allowed federal zone on beach side. Private properties still in litigation are guarded by a few Rodenas security guards. These are NOT state police. They have also been instructed they have zero authority on any part of the federal zone or roadways.They should not talk to tourists or tell you where you can or can't go or park, howerver properties should be respected. The access to the lagoon roadway and boat access is also free passage. Bathrooms facilities are located near lagoon area and new bathrooms are being built @ Chely's new restaurant located @ beach entrance. Several lots have been won back by the local people. The decision on what will be allowed where the restaurants once operated is in the control (concession ) of La Huerta Municipaity. This has yet to be decided, and may not happen until after they get a new president in La Huerta.

Any problems or negative actions by security guards should be reported to LaHuerta Police and a complaint can also be filed with PROFEPA as they are the legal authority on all federal waterways in Mexico [www.profepa.gob.mx] this can be done in Spanish or English . This last step is encouraged and extremely important in maintaining a free and open Tenacatita. The guards have overstepped boundaries and authority by intimidation the last 4 1/2 yrs. They are no longer in control of Tenacatita.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (1.16 MB)
open | download - image.jpg (1.26 MB)
May 06, 2015 03:02PM
Chito's new restaurant will be open in time for summer vacation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 03:03PM by sparks.
Attachments:
open | download - tenacatita1.jpg (36.3 KB)
May 13, 2015 09:59AM
Stop work order by PROFEPA . Restaurant remains open
[www.facebook.com]
May 17, 2015 09:10PM
...seems those now masked rent-a-cops are at it again and causing problems
May 18, 2015 09:56AM
Ignoring the federal authority, rodents, I mean Rodenas (Jose Maria Andres Villalobos) beefs up security on lot owned by the Alvarado family. A stop work order was issued for an environmental study.The guards were instructed on March 31, 2015 that legal or privates disputes were not their concern. However this little hiccup on private property now has 32 armed and masked "security" agents. Do not be intimidated by these goons, go out to the beach, enjoy, and ignore them. Tenacatita has come too far to let them take back control.
Attachments:
open | download - 11053252_887394301322075_7773601788588980571_n.jpg (101.2 KB)
May 18, 2015 09:57AM
September 05, 2015 08:55AM
What is the latest on access to beach?
September 06, 2015 08:56AM
Drive on in and enjoy the day.

Rick
September 26, 2015 08:18PM
So are the guards still there, or have they given up the fight (at least temporarily)?
October 20, 2015 07:15AM
Pursuant to a recent reference on our TZ Oaxaca forum, what is the actual current state of affairs with land title validity at Tenacatita?

Have the Guadalajara developer's 'legal' land claims finally won-out, and have all earlier existing property owners conclusively lost their original titles (both Mexican national and foreigner land owners)?

TIA
October 26, 2015 12:24PM
Rodencide has a little more on his mind at the moment than a person may think. Horrible publicity about the incredible damage and nightmare of a multi-million dollar development vanishing in the blink of a storm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |