Home >> Main Index >> City of Oaxaca >> Home >> State of Oaxaca >> City of Oaxaca >> Topic

Amate Books-a real treasure

Posted by alan vlautin 
Click for city map
Amate Books-a real treasure
February 01, 2010 11:09AM
I love books. My brother and I were blessed with parents who read to us as little children and who we saw read as we got older, inculcating the habit in us and thereby broadening our lives. But enough about me. You, you lucky folks in Oaxaca, whenever you may be there, have a super bookstore. Located at 307 M. Alcala, a block away from Santo Domingo Church, it has an impressive selection of, primarily, English language titles, heavily emphasizing history, the arts and literature. The selection in hard cover and paper back is impressive. While you may not find the latest brilliant tome by Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh you will be exposed to a large array of scholarly books especially on history and current events, as well as a good selection of current magazines. There are also shelves of used books at bargain prices for beach reading. It is well worth a visit.
Re: Amate Books-a real treasure
February 01, 2010 11:39AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to the Oaxaca page. Do you know the name of the store?

Tom Penick "tomzap"
tom@tomzap.com
February 02, 2010 02:51PM
Sorry. Clever, I, neglected to include the name of the store. It is cleverly named, Amate Books, Macediono Alacala 307-2 corner of Abasolo. Claims the best selection of books in English on Mexico and that can easily be true. Up to date guides and books with detailed information on the region can really enhance your visit.
February 10, 2010 03:09PM
Amate Books is an amazing place! I used to work there and they have an enormous selection of everything Mexico - Not to mention they can get you anything you want. Carmen is the young woman that manages the store and she is an absolutely delightful person!

BTW - They have a great selection of music too!
February 22, 2013 09:01AM
Sorry to report that Amate Books' sister store in Merida closed about a year ago. I was really looking forward to visiting it but do not let this deter you from visiting the Oaxaca location where open minds will find many great books to delve into. Salutos to Henry and his excellent staff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |