Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusión

Clarity in Writing

Posted by • Enviado por Fred 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
Clarity in Writing
April 01, 2014 12:02PM
Quite a few years ago I had a new boss transferred in - a bit of a runt with a Napoleonic complex. His predecessor, being hugely lazy, had dropped his responsibilities on me and my new boss was more than a little intimidated by that. I did all the staff correspondence, writings to head office, etc., and wrote a reasonable letter using a decent vocabulary as appropriate - the intent is to communicate, not confuse with unnecessary vocabulary. The standard rules were that my boss had to cosign all correspondence and my writings annoyed him especially in light of his somewhat limited vocabulary and poor sentence structure. "Compound sentence - what's that?" The result was that he bought a thesaurus and started to substitute words in my writings in an apparent random fashion. The results were often hilarious. I soon stopped appending my name to the bottom of the writings and let them go out under his signature alone.

Years later, while I was working in head office, I had cause to pull a number of personnel files to find suitable staff and I ran across some of his creations. I had a lot of fun reading the often hilarious notes in the margins "critiquing" his thesaurus derived vocabulary.

It's not often you come across someone who naturally writes like that.

Derf
Re: Clarity in Writing
April 01, 2014 12:09PM
Oh how I wish I could write like many of you
My dyslexia does not help
that and being an old dog who is to lazy to learn new tricks
Wayne Overby
April 01, 2014 12:21PM
We've done this before. KR shows every couple of years and tries to dazzle people with his flair for writing. Then the moaning begins, and ultimately he usually takes his ball and goes home. He's lasted a little longer this time. Too bad really, because he has some incites but they all get lost in his pompous language.
April 02, 2014 06:26AM
Speaking of clarity in writing, it's "insights"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sólo puedes enviar mensajes si estás registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquí para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |