Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusión

I HATE THIS SOFTWARE!!!!

Posted by • Enviado por Howard 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
I HATE THIS SOFTWARE!!!!
June 26, 2010 06:34PM
Edit of June 29th.
Ignore all that follows!
I fixed it and can now post in the original Spanish, accents and all.
YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I do a "cut and paste" of interesting topics.
This software deletes everything after an accent , or even an apostrophe.
I have to go back and edit many times to catch them all.
It is intensely frustrating, and I do not see why it has to be that way.

TOM, DO YOU HAVE A REASON?

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 04:29PM by Howard.
Re: I HATE THIS SOFTWARE!!!!
June 26, 2010 07:34PM
Sure enough. I hadn't noticed that before.
I did not write the software though.

Tom Penick "tomzap"
tom@tomzap.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 07:38PM by tomzap.
June 26, 2010 08:14PM
Howard,

Just a suggestion, but if you write what you want in another program, i.e. Wordpad, using the accents, you can cut and then paste it into the pane here and it should work.

Inténtalo, puede que les guste! Sí señoras y señores,, en realidad es bastante simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 08:16PM by Mike B..
June 27, 2010 06:50AM
MikeB. I went and picked up the article, and here it is.
Do you see that everything after the sixth letter in the presidents name is missing?
I would use correct grammar and put the apostrophe between the word president, above, and the s that signifies possession - but guess what would happen!!
Maybe it is because I am using a Spanish language keyboard.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Mexican President's Discourse on the Lack of Law & Order

President Felipe Calder

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 06:54AM by Howard.
June 27, 2010 11:51AM
Sorry I can't be of more help.
It works for me.

'President's'

Cut and paste from [www.mexidata.info]

Mexican President's Discourse on the Lack of Law & Order

President Felipe Calderón
June 27, 2010 04:59PM
June 28, 2010 06:28AM
Yes, the latest version, whatever it is called.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 28, 2010 06:47AM
go to programs-accessories-wordpad and open the program, like Mike said.

goto file-save as... and type in ""termplate"

and then "save-in......", scroll through the options and choose "desktop"

Now you will have a readily accessable scratch pad on your desktop that you can copy and past to the body of these threads.

Make sure that the "template" that you will use forever must be "saved as...." each specific project each time so that you will ALWAYS have a blank page!

June 28, 2010 02:16PM
La canciller Patricia Espinosa critic

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 28, 2010 02:20PM
The above was a cut and paste, saved as an MS-DOS text document in Notepad before copying to paste here.
The content is truncated at the first accent, as usual.

This is another attempt, picking up the document from the saved text file.
La canciller Patricia Espinosa critic

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 28, 2010 02:23PM
This is the article after the tedious process of doing a find and replace for each accented letter.

La canciller Patricia Espinosa critico a la gobernadora de Arizona, Jan Brewer, quien vinculo el fenomeno migratorio mexicano con el crimen organizado y el narcotrafico.
Hay iniciativas que pretenden criminalizar a los migrantes, y no reconocen sus aportaciones a la sociedad estadounidense, respondio la funcionaria.
Asimismo, la canciller dijo que se pretende distorsionar el fenomeno migratorio vinculado con la delincuencia organizada.
Por su parte, Julian Ventura subsecretario para America del Norte, lamento y rechazo las declaraciones que hizo hace unos dias la gobernadora de Arizona, ya que se ignora realmente, la contribucion a que los mexicanos hacen a la economia, a la cultura y a la sociedad de Estados Unidos.

So, In spite of the best intentions of my friends I find I am not further ahead.
Thanks anyway guys.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 28, 2010 02:28PM
Howard,

I don't do any of that convoluted stuff. I just cut from any source and paste here.

Try this; cut the sentence, below, and paste it into a reply message pane and see what happens.

(The writing has no significance other than to show accent marks of different types.)

Señoras y señores. Bienvenido al foro TomZap, ofreciéndole las mejores consejos para los viajes de su visita a México.
June 28, 2010 02:31PM
El ministro de Relaciones Exteriores, Patricia Espinosa, criticó a la gobernadora de Arizona, Jan Brewer, que vincular la migración mexicana a la delincuencia organizada y el tráfico de drogas.
Existen iniciativas que buscan criminalizar a los inmigrantes, y no reconocen sus contribuciones a la sociedad americana ", replicó el oficial.
Por otra parte, el canciller dijo que tiene la intención de perturbar el fenómeno migratorio vinculado a la delincuencia organizada.
Por su parte, Julián Ventura subsecretario para América del Norte, lamento y rechazar las declaraciones que hizo hace unos días el gobernador de Arizona, ya que en realidad pasa por alto la contribución a que los mexicanos hacen a la economía, la cultura y la sociedad EE.UU..

To accomplish this I simply copied what you wrote, above, went to [www.spanishdict.com] and pasted for translation from Spanish to English.

I copied the English language result back into the translator, English to Spanish, and got the above result.

I then copied it and pasted here.

Took about 30 seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 02:33PM by Mike B..
June 28, 2010 03:20PM
Hi Mike:

I wonder what your message looks like on your screen. Does the Spanish part have strange characters in it?
This is the cut and paste of the message you sent.

Señoras y señores. Bienvenido al foro TomZap, ofreciéndole las mejores consejos para los viajes de su visita a México.

I have to guess at the words for the addressee, and even Mexico at the end. Not difficult in this message, but the funny characters do obscure the meaning in less obvious sentences. I think it might be that my computer has Spanish language software - the Spanish version of Windows - and preserves the genuine Spanish accents. Somehow your computer is replacing the original accented letters with these strange characters (strange to me although obviously acceptable to this software).

What would be nice, especially as thiasforum deals with Mexico, would be to see the software be able to cope with the language of Mexico. There must be some capability because Tom has the correct accented letters showing in the instructions and information boxes.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 03:21PM by Howard.
June 28, 2010 04:30PM
Howard,

My screen shows no unusual characters so your observations re. your Spanish language Windows 7 operating system may be correct.

I believe that this is something which you may have to query Microsoft about.

One thought on your other suggestion. I believe that the forum, while dealing with subjects in and about Mexico, was set up for those wanting information about the region for travel and perhaps immigration purposes. Those for whom Spanish is a first / primary language or who are proficient in Spanish would hardly need this service. I believe that, as English speakers, the Penick's set the forum up with the goal of helping those who do not necessarily speak and read Spanish, as I'm sure most of us here don't, and therefore it's geared toward English speakers.

Altering the forum to be more Spanish language friendly, perhaps at a cost to the English language function, would probably be counterproductive to their goals.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 04:33PM by Mike B..
June 29, 2010 09:00AM
Mike, just to be clear, this is what you message looked like to me:

Is it the same on your screen?

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 29, 2010 10:13AM
WHOA!

Howard, that may have something to do with the Windows Character Map program on you computer.

You might want to take a look.

Good luck.
June 29, 2010 01:43PM
that is exactly how it looks on my computer screen too! I am not using a Spanish key board or computer but built in the USA one using Windows 7
June 29, 2010 01:55PM
It's not only you Howard...I see the same weird sharaters on my screen.
June 29, 2010 02:17PM
If you have a laptop Howard, yu might wanna bring it with you when you come to Barra
June 29, 2010 02:28PM
Usually, i try not to go too off-topic but enjoy reading the back and forth banter on various threads. What has developed on this one may indeed explain the rancor sometimes exhibited on other recent threads. Perhaps it is that what one has typed does not come across the same as it was written on the screens of others. In those instances, it is not the software involved but more the mutual or individual myopic hard headedness and unwillingness to honestly consider other's alternate opinions by some of those involved. Just saying...for fun.
June 29, 2010 02:37PM
Ditto on that Alan

That's why I have asked permission to quote Howard in my signature line along with that of Steve Cotton.

No matter which software one uses ....................... the translation of culture can never reveal the the many layers involved!

June 29, 2010 03:08PM
Change your language in your windows settings?
June 29, 2010 03:18PM
Hi BW.
This is the personal message you would have got if the software did not ignore everything after the first accent - in this case the accented letter o in buzzardwest wrote. You can use the accents. Other people can use the accents. But when I hit reply and write my response after your note the software kills everything after the first accent. Hence my frustration and people getting empty personal message replies from me.

THE CAMERA DOES NOT LIE! (Well of course it does, but not in this case).

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 29, 2010 04:22PM
Hey!!!!!
I have fixed at least part of my problem.
In my account settings for Tomzap I have gone to American English, instead of the Spanglish setting I was using. Suddenly all the bilingual stuff in Tomzap has become unilingual English! Might be the answer.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 29, 2010 04:23PM
June 29, 2010 04:55PM
Thanks Howard, that fixed it for me.
June 29, 2010 05:12PM
Phew (wiping the sweat off my brow)
June 29, 2010 06:40PM
HOORAY!

Congratulations, Howard.

I sure hope that Tom posts the problem and the fix in a separate thread in the ANNOUNCEMENTS forum and posts a notice in all of the other sub forums.
June 30, 2010 05:34AM
Yea big time, thanks Howard. Maybe we will now all be on the same page and peace and prosperity will reign again...Just hoping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sólo puedes enviar mensajes si estás registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquí para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |