Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusión

¿What Does US Homeland Security Mean to the Canadain Visitor/Resident?

Posted by • Enviado por witchita 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
¿What Does US Homeland Security Mean to the Canadain Visitor/Resident?
May 11, 2012 09:14AM
I know lots of Canadians who come here but do not like having to enter US to do it. I know many others who cannot enter US because of a criminal record but they pay more money and usually must go out of their way to do it. I know that I seldom have any problems entering the US and have done so often, sometimes under unusual circumstances and in many different parts of the US. I have been 'busted' entering Canada with my meds. Since they are restricted drugs, I believe I can't enter as a resident with restricted meds I buy in Mexico. I din't even think to bring a prescription for them Not a problem really. An extra hour, they seized the drugs and let me go with a warning not to do it again. Why, The guy first asked me what I do for work and I told him I was disabled. He said he belived me and likely therefore believed I had made a mistake and was not trying to 'pull off' anything. They could have charged me which would likely resulte in a conviction for importing narcotics (codiene in that case) but I told them the truth, they believed me and I still had no problem entering US after that. I was once refused entry. I tell them that when they ask. I don't remember it but that's what I tell them. I have been arrested in Canada. I say yes when they ask. Obviously, it was for a crime not serious enough that they consider excluding me from transitting and visiting their country. They could refuse me entry. They don't. The time they did, I was a kid and very intoxicated by alcohol. Liquor was easy to get in Northern NY state on a Sunday so a few of us wen't for a drive to buy some beer. They likely refused me because I was young and pretty drunk. Maybe I was smart-mouthed or rude. It was likely a good call on the agent's part. Why let in a high-potential problem? Let him sober up and smarten up and let him think next time.

Other times, I have been in US a while before reporting (twice in Alaska). The fact that you go out of your way to make it legal when you really don't have to can make authorities suspicious, but can also tell them that you're probably OK.

There are other unusual thinks about my border crossings. Some are too personal to note here. I have never been convicted of a serious or violent crime and have one criminal conviction from canada that is very old and for driving a car with too much alcohol in my blood. I pleaded guilty, was guilty, paid my debt too society and wasnt caught doing it again. As far as I know, it's about the only crime you can have on your record and still be admitted to US. They know that I received an "absolute discharge" for possession of canabis sativa when a minor (before the 'young offender's Act came into play) but the sentence of that particular discharge is not considered a guilty verdict by them or my nation. they know about it so why lie about it and risk entry?

US Borderland Security has known all of this stuff dating back to my teen years. I normally get stopped, tell the truth and am on my way. The last comment from an agent about my drunk driving incident was when I entered from southern Ontario with my car to move here. "Why would you be driving drunk in the Yukon Territory in 1982???" "Well..., maybe it was too cold outside to walk.", I think was my comeback (actually it was summer and I had driven the 4 blocks home from the bar like an idiot).

These guys know all about me. They will give you a hard time and can refuse you entry if you lie. They could check out my meds as they know I carry restricted medications. They don't. They know I am disabled as they are often interested in my finacial status. That's reason enough to need meds. Maybe the most important thing to them is that they know I have never been arrested or had problems in the USA. they know I never spend much time in Amurica.

I could rant on at some of my experiences but my point is that it is not as difficult. Many people blow it by lying but the authority's intelligence and communications makes that dumb. I read in an interview with a Canadian border inspector where they expect people to be a bit nervous and those that aren't as well as those that are very nervous stand out. I am never very nervous myself so I am an exception to that it would seem.

These people are trained to read people. I have gotten away with smuggling this and that and seldom are my bags ever searched (I have moved stuff across borders inadvertantly that could have had sever penalties). I must be a good candidate. With the exception of me having restricted pain meds and muscle relaxers that I purchased locally here and tried to enter Canada with (since I resided in Canada then, I think I could not bring any tylenol 3 in that was purchased overseas. Now that I reside her, I think I could enter with enough to use during my stay and the proper prescription).

As my neighbour says, "Every border crossing is an art performance" . He is correct. Don't be annoyed, submit politely. Make it easy for them and they will appreciate it. You don't have to be an angel to travel US but they can be strict. Don't lie, they are watching for that and know a lot about you already. Be open and be clean and I don't see the big deal myself. !Maybe I just look honest¡
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sólo puedes enviar mensajes si estás registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquí para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |