Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusiσn
Magic Jack
December 13, 2009 02:16PM
The magic jack costs $19.99 in the US this phone jack is connected to the usb port on any computer along with any regular phone. They work well in the US no Phone account needed. For international use the instructions are to program a US area code and number which is supposed to be unique to your jack and with another one also programmed with US or Canadian number, and you can call as if you are in the US or Canada from anywhere in the world. I have used skype but it seems Carlos Slim has Ki bashed the quality and reliance to a intolerable level. Has anyone tried the magic jack in Mexico to the US or anywhere else. I'm thinking of buying a pair to try out but am seeking any experiences or pitfalls that have been over advertised.
Re: Magic Jack
December 13, 2009 05:54PM
Thanks for the tip. But for the record, I use skype regularly and have no problems with it in Puerto.
December 13, 2009 11:31PM
We use Magic Jack in Mexico and have found this to be far and away the best,
No where near the amount of dropped calls as Skype and Vontage.The clarity
is much better.
December 14, 2009 07:22AM
We use Skype while in Mexico. The only problem is when we don't have true high speed. With true high speed its fine.

Even if you can program 2 Magic Jacks you still need a phone line in Mexico or access to one don't you?

Friends of ours travel around the States for a few months and swear by Magic Jack.
December 14, 2009 12:38PM
No phone line needed computer to computer usb ports then add any phone same at other end. Yes dsl,eithernet or other high speed access necessary. No phone line.
December 14, 2009 05:49PM
I have been using Skype and have no problem. I paid for the upgrade so I can call landlines or cells anywhere in the world for $30.00 CDN for three months.
December 15, 2009 08:14AM
That Magic Jack sounds like the answer to ditching Ma Bell!! Thanks RT.
December 28, 2009 09:15AM
Have used the MJ in Barra de Navidad for the past two weeks with no problem whatsoever. I can even take it from my computer to another computer and, with high speed internet, place calls to any US or Canadian telephone number or to any other MJ number located anywhere else in the world.

Those I call can't tell the difference between my calls from the MJ vs. those from a landline. Call quality is, IMO, far superior to that of Skype.

One correction, though. The MJ costs $39.99 and half of that is for the first years service. Additional years service is $19.99 or less depending on how many years you buy in advance.

In the US the MJ is now being sold not only via the internet from MJ but also by Wal*Mart, Radio Shack, etc. Via the internet from MJ there is no shipping costs and no tax unless you live in one state (don't remember which).

I agree that it should be the product of the year.
January 06, 2010 09:02AM
i have been using skype at los adobes on an un guarded line with good not great results but i have gotten good quality reports on my new everyman head and micro set sold by skype w/ fast delivery too. excellent at 19.99 delivered usa mail.

gottagobye
driftllastic
January 18, 2010 05:36PM
Skype runs on the same ports as your web browser and is in a protocol that cannot be blocked by Telmex or your browser would stop working as well.
What Telmex does is compresses the bandwidth, in essence they are already over congested and selling you a service they cannot entirely provide in many areas. Anyways Telmex compresses the bandwidth and what happens little bites and bytes of information are dropped from your connection on purpose. In your browser it is not seen as easily and error-correction asks for the missing parts very rapidly. When using skype the error correction is slower because the stream needs a constant "acceptable" transmission, "semi error free rate" or you get drop outs and bad quality calls or disconnections. You will also see this in videos on the web. If you have a true clean 1/2 meg or 512 speed you should be able to watch HD or very near HD quality video on your computer error free. Which quality HD video can run at 412 easily. In P.E. the bandwidth fluctuates so yo get varying quality more than elsewhere.

Also there is latency in the time you make a request after you push your ENTER or click button or use a browser command to connect to a link or whatever. How this works is that Telmex puts a delay (up to several seconds) which really should just be milliseconds before it processes your request.
So if you click 20 times in a minute browsing you may be waiting 60 seconds (2 second latency) for telmex to process your query. Many people click this much or more, but if the latency is high you will be doing alot of waiting and not clicking. This allows a congested bandwidth to be shared and forcing the traffic to slow down so others can squeeze in. Bad for the subscriber, good for telmex because they just slow you down and add more customers.

What ever happened to "More Jokes for the John"?
January 19, 2010 02:36PM
Our internet service here in Bucerias is with Telecable......Skype is great, not even one dropped call in 3 months and I use it often.......clear as a bell every time too!
January 25, 2010 12:42AM
January 30, 2010 09:25AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sσlo puedes enviar mensajes si estαs registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquν para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |