Home >> Main Index >> Forum Home • Foro Inicio >> Off-Topic Forum >> Thread • Discusiσn

A Weak Link in the Border?

Posted by • Enviado por buzzardwest 
Index
Aerial Photos
Birds
Fiestas
Fish
Recipes
Spanish
Telephones
Transportation
A Weak Link in the Border?
May 18, 2010 06:33AM
Why has it taken 8 years for Homeland Security to discover that the easiest route route for terrorists to enter the USA was, and probably still is, through Canada ------------------ NOT Mexico?

[www.boston.com]

Re: A Weak Link in the Border?
May 18, 2010 07:27AM
Here in B.C., trying to get to WA state is a hassle. I think the US Border people do a good job at Canadian/US Border crossings. Nobody sneaks through, avoiding the Homeland boys and girls. That being said, both countries share one of the longest borders in the world, and there isn't a fence over 99.99999% of it. It is well patrolled, especially by US military, but in remote areas, of which most of the border is, you could stroll back and forth any ole time.
May 18, 2010 07:46AM
If I remember correctly the only time a terrorist tried to come into the USA over the border it was from Canada.
May 18, 2010 10:01AM
" I think the US Border people do a good job at Canadian/US Border crossings. Nobody sneaks through, avoiding the Homeland boys and girls. "

They also can be quite a pain in the butt for honest people. We found the easiest way through is to answer their question 'Where are you heading?' by starting with: 'Well, first we go to Vegas....' and watch their eyes glaze over with the vision of all the dollar bills they expect you to leave there, and they basically don't pay any further attention and wave you through. :>)
That contrasts very much with their reaction if you say: 'Well, we are just driving through on our way to Mexico', which results in a deep frown, very thorough questioning and remarks you can only describe as rude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 10:05AM by Sandy L.
May 18, 2010 10:16AM
Well BW, the article is quite an interesting read.
Seems to me the terrorists are already in the USA and working for homeland security.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
May 18, 2010 11:41AM
There is a little border crossing south of Tribune Saskachewan that US did build a brand new facility at. The guards are so bored that they search your vehicle and take you into their offices to question you. Who knew that you cannot bring a lottery ticket across the border and Canadian tire money could be veiwed as counterfit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 01:01PM by Suzette Elder.
May 18, 2010 12:16PM
the way to solve that problem is dont come into the states
May 18, 2010 01:08PM
geez eddy the last time that I checked it was impossible to get to Mexico by car from Canada without going thru the US. Even flying there one sometimes has to change planes there. Anyway why wouldn't we not ever want to go to the states. I for one have friends and relatives that live there.
May 18, 2010 07:12PM
May 18, 2010 08:38PM
re "Zummie1954 Wrote"

He sure did Spools ................ and we are daym proud of him!
May 18, 2010 09:24PM
Holy cow, all you old farts get quite excited about something that means absolutely nothing to 97% of the public. Too much time, boys and girls. Let's face it, Homeland Security is paranoid, and rightfully so. Remember the Middle East screwball they caught, on the ferry from Victoria(approx) to Seattle(approx), with a bomb destined for the Space Needle in downtown Seattle?
I love driving through the US, being from Canada. Cheaper everything. My lower extremties only tighten when I hit Nogales. One is far better off to fly, especailly from Vancouver, or any other Canadian departure. The states is great, but like one person said, fine if you are off to Vegas, which we did 6 weeks ago, and "ditto" all they wanted to know was how long and how much loot.
If the US experiences another terrorist folley, I would think, "we ain't seen nothing yet". Just my 2 bits.
May 19, 2010 03:42AM
RE:"Remember the Middle East screwball they caught, on the ferry from Victoria(approx) to Seattle(approx), with a bomb destined for the Space Needle in downtown Seattle?"

Thank you for validating my point that the terrorism comes from the north.

Why then has Amerika spent billions of dollars to build Da Wall?

How many Mexicans can hop in their car and go to Vegas?
May 20, 2010 05:30PM
RE THE VERMONT FARMER,

The government is offering him $8,000.00 per acre for hayland....the best corn land in Iowa and Illinois is not worth 8 grand
an acre...

it's simple, a good haycrop might net him $150 per acre, per year...for 8K, the govt is paying him for 53 years of crop, he
won't live long enough to earn that.

it's the taxpayers who need your sympathy
May 22, 2010 08:27AM
My resent return to the Illinois/Iowa border to invest in farmland netted results of $5500-9000/acre.
May 23, 2010 12:48PM
This border crossing sees 60 cars/day (21/2 per hour). The guards are known to hit golf balls, shoot skeet and wash their cars. It's very slow there. Now US Customs wants to spend $7M of federal bailout cash to fortify the crossing. If the farmer refuses, the US Government will invoke emminent domain. No outrage there, though. A customs official was quoted saying '...if we fail to fortify one crossing we weaken the entire system, putting national security at risk..' Meanwhile, Americans in Arizona along the southern border lay awake at night listening to footfalls and voices as illegals pass through their private property. And on that item, officials refuse to act. On a side note, Ahmed Ressam, an Algerian immigrant to Canada was the only terrorist caught entering the US from Canada, taking his payload to LAX, his inteded destination. Canuckistan has a love affair w/ muslim immigration so the yankees are prudent to keep a close eye on them. But lets face it Buzz, 'terrorism comes from the north' is a laughable concept. Forget 9/11 already?
Remember the 343.
May 23, 2010 07:29PM
"the only time a terrorist tried to come into the USA over the border it was from Canada.".....was what I failed to quote on zummie.

Willow has now captured what I meant to point out...."Ahmed Ressam, an Algerian immigrant to Canada was the only terrorist caught entering the US from Canada"
June 06, 2010 07:51PM
These guys were cheating.
They forgot they had to go through Canada to be real terrorists.
On the other hand, maybe they planned to come back through Canada and make it OK.

"2 suspected jihadists nabbed at JFK airport
New Jersey men linked to al Qaeda

Two New Jersey men were arrested late Saturday night at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York as they sought to board flights to seek terror training from al Qaeda-linked jihadists in Somalia.
Mohamed Mahmood Alessa, 20, of North Bergen, N.J., and Carlos Eduardo Almonte, 24, of Elmwood Park, N.J., were arrested by FBI agents and later charged with conspiring to kill, maim and kidnap people outside the United States.
According to a criminal complaint filed in federal court by prosecutors at the U.S. attorneys office in New Jersey, Mr. Alessa and Mr. Almonte were arrested as they attempted to board separate jets bound for Cairo on their way to Somalia to join with the terrorist group Harakat Shabaab al-Mujahidin, also known as al-Shabaab.
Both men planned to make their way to Somalia by boat, authorities said.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 06, 2010 08:06PM
CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

June 15, 2010 06:41PM
Well, I wasn't going to say anything but..............................!!!!!
Seems like there are a couple of people who on this site that don't like Canada or Canadians!
Is that because they are jealous or just ignorant?
Jealous, because everywhere an american goes they are known as ugly americans?
Ignorant, because they don't have a clue about anything outside of their state or the u.s.???
You touched a nerve. The Canadians have helped the americans out over the years lots and lots!!!!
June 15, 2010 06:55PM
?
Not following you Scott.
Most posters are Canadian or are pro-Canadian.
Some of the posts are a little tongue-in-cheek.

Howard Platt, Manzanillo
hplattbc@gmail.com
June 15, 2010 08:14PM
Thanks Howard.

If you follow my posts Scott, you will find that, as an American, I have been more pro Mexico and and harder on America than any other poster.

BTW, I believe you steered away from PV and headed more to our locale because of my answer to one of your earlier threads about PV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. • Lo siento, sσlo puedes enviar mensajes si estαs registrado.

Click here to login • Haz click aquν para entrar

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |