Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Colima >> Colima - Comala >> Topic

a place to rent in Colima

Posted by saravamama 
a place to rent in Colima
August 02, 2012 12:38PM
Hello all.... I have just relocated from Canada, and am looking for a suitable furnished house or apartment for myself and my 11 year old son. I am a painter and a heritage consultant, and will be attending the University in January. We are on a budget, and I am hoping to find a place near the centro, with adequate room for a studio. I have an especial love for old buildings and colonial architecture... :-) Any suggestions or leads?

Leslie
Re: a place to rent in Colima
August 03, 2012 06:51AM
This is not the place you are hoping for but it might work in a pinch. It's in Comala (not Colima, where I understand, there are is little or no remaining colonial architecture due to earthquakes) but it's a neat place that could work in a pinch. This is adapted from a post I made on another forum:

We have Mexican friends in Colima (long story) and while there last summer, we let them know we were looking for a furnished place to rent in Comala from Nov through mid March. What they came up with was wonderful. It's a small "bungalow" in the eco-garden of an architect, Francisco (Paco) Cardenas Munguia (cell 312-31-71-1894) and features a jungly-feel with tropical plants and trees such as vanilla, mamey, cocoa, bananas, coconut, heliconias, etc. It had excellent birding. The bungalow was like half an A-frame with a small kitchen (two burner stove and no oven), couch, chairs and tables below and a steep metal stairway leading to the the twin beds upstairs. You enter through a large glassed/screened-in patio area which was great for watching the resident motmot and other birds. It also has secure, covered parking. Drawbacks? Although it says it accommodates four, you'd better be pretty good friends. There are no interior doors except to the bathroom and, consequently, no privacy. The wireless internet connection was iffy (we often sat on the porch of the main house to get it) but Paco says he's getting a more powerful router. It's five blocks east of the Square towards Nogueras on Degollado. Paco prefers to rent it by the month but you could check about shorter times. There is now a second bungalow on the grounds. He rents it for 4,800 pesos per month. Please note: I have no financial stake in this or anything else in Comala.

Paco is a wonderful guy who is a professor of architecture at the University of Colima. Let me know if you need more info.
August 05, 2012 08:02PM
Thank you! I was hoping at one point to be able to live in Comala, however, my son will be attending Campo Verde in the city, and it is a bit far for a daily commute..
August 07, 2012 05:52PM
Have you tried any of the real estate offices in Colima? Google "bienes raices en colima"...a number of them also handle rentals....you will find that Colima is warmer in the summer than Comala, Nogueras, etc. Some of the people at the U might be able to help point you to some places. Buena suerte!
Willie
August 26, 2012 02:43PM
Hi! That sounds like a wonderful place.... I'm currently renting week to week in Colima, but am hoping to relocate to Comala or Suchitlan in a couple of weeks, when I buy a car. I miss having a garden... so your suggestion sounds wonderful!

Could you please furnish me with more details? Are you currently in Mexico?

Thank you,

Leslie
August 26, 2012 05:28PM
Who are you asking?
August 26, 2012 08:22PM
Hi! I was asking you! I haven't quite mastered board etiquette. My apologies!

Leslie
August 27, 2012 07:30AM
Leslie
I'm sorry to say that we are not yet back to Comala. If you want to check out the place (called Oikos), start at the square in Comala. Start at Degollado, the street on the opposite side of the botanas - it's the side with a couple of gift shops and two ice cream places. Go past the church and school and continue down the hill. Cross the bridge and go up the hill. You will come to a road that angles off to the left but keep going straight, staying on Degollado. Watch on the left for a little rental sign on the wall by the door - there is also a big wooden door to the driveway. If it's during the week or Sat AM, ring the bell and Julio the handyman will let you in and can show you around.
I will also send you a private message.
August 28, 2012 04:29PM
Thanks so much for the help and feedback! Comala is definitely the town I would like to settle in for a while. I am going to keep looking. Perhaps if someone sees a for rent sign anywhere they could let me know?

Again,

Many many thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |