Home >> Main Index >> Home >> State of Colima >> Colima - Comala >> Topic

Virgin of Guadalupe

Posted by Polinero1 
Virgin of Guadalupe
December 06, 2012 07:49AM
I am thinking about coming from Manzanillo to Colima to see the celebrations surrounding this very special day. I have been told that Colima is a good place to go. I know the week countdown to the actual date of December 12th has begun, but do not know when is the best time to be there? Any suggestions. If I do go, I was thinking about staying at the Best Western on the zocalo (Cebllos sp?) but wonder if that be too noisy for sleep. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Re: Virgin of Guadalupe
December 06, 2012 08:37PM
I don't know about Colima, but the festivities in Comala are going full blast. That said, Comala, Mexico's numero uno magic town, doesn't do a very good job of promoting itself on the internet - I couldn't find anything about what's going on here. There is a brochure floating around detailing each day's activities. If I can get one, I will post the highlights.
December 07, 2012 12:13AM
Love Comala and would be happy to stay there if that is where I can get the best experience. I was in DF a few years ago and visited the shrine for the virgin and the memory of the vibe and the devotion of the people ranks very high on my top 10 memororoes of travels all over the world. Any info would be appreciated.
December 07, 2012 11:06AM
Evidently, Comala is better at promoting itself than I knew. The info is at Fiestas Charro Taurinas Comala which you can get to from Google. It opens a facebook page, which I am not on so that may be a problem for you, or maybe you can find another link. I think there may be a big parade with hundreds of great horses tomorrow, but I'm not sure. But there are things going on through the entire period.
If you need a place to stay, I recommend the hostel Casa Blanca which our friends Miguel and Rosa Gomez have. They are great hosts who speak English, the place is beautiful, reasonably priced, and very near the Centro. Just go into town from Colima/Villa and turn right at the school, going down the hill. There is an empty storefront at the turn where a wall has been knocked out. The landlord apparently didn't realize (or was just stupid) you couldn't knock big holes in buildings in the Centro Historico, so all came to a halt. I just talked to Rosa and they have vacancies.
Rosa also told me there are things going on in Colima but I don't have any info on those.
December 08, 2012 09:50AM
I'm not on Facebook but my wife is. Big cavalgada (sp?) (horse etc. parade) to day at noon, traditional dancers tonight in the centro tonight at 8:30. Sorry I didn't get this out earlier...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

| Top of page | Main index | Search | What's new |